Monday, March 16, 2009

Random Conversion

Ideas for conversions can come at the strangest time. I've been mulling over entering TAG's Bloodbowl league for over month, trying to decide which of my teams I'm going to use. I'm an accomplished player with lizardmen, but I don't like the new rules for the stunty skill, which now limits the effectiveness of my skinks.

I finally decided that I would take my Orc team into it, with the intention of rupturing the opposition with brute force, rather than winning through skill. Two weeks after deciding on the orcs, and idea came to me in the shower. Why not include a model of the teams coach. I thought a bit about what an Orc Bloodbowl coach should have, and decided that a whip to encourage the team would be appropriate. Being cheap when it comes to things like that, I knew I had some old hero quest Orcs around (bought cheap off trade me), and old wire is in abundance around the house.


After work the following day, I hunted out the figures, found the wire, and got to work. I decided to make three.One for myself, and two for the other Orc players in the league. The biggest issue is that the three original figures all stood in identical poses, regardless of weapon. (two with mace, one with an axe.)


The first one I made, I removed the weapon hand, and reduced the mace to just the wooden handle. The shaft of the handle was drilled out with my pin vice. Approximately 5 cm of multi strand wire was stripped, and the wire twisted at one end, then super glued into the hole. After giving the glue time to set, I cemented the hand back on the orc's arm at ninety degrees to the original position, with the wire whip behind the orc. The loose strands of the wire were spread out, and angled down, so the coach appears to be ready to bring the whip forward to lash one his players.


The second coach used the same method, except I took the entire arm off, and repositioned it in front of the orc. This orc now looks like he is holding the whip in front of himself, possibly as a threat to one of his players.


The third coach took a little more work, as I wanted a different pose again. I removed the arm, and then the hand. The arm was then glued back on, with a rotation of about forty five degrees forward of the original. The hand (with new whip completed) was glued on at ninety degrees to its original position. The strands of the whip were than placed so it appears the coach is actually in the act of flogging a player (or a fan; lets face it, he is an orc).



No comments:

Post a Comment